Welcome!

My Joy Is Contagious Make Sure You Catch It!

I always tell people that any day above ground is a good day! I hope your day is wonderful and blessed! Feel free to share your thoughts!
Thanks for stopping by!


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

When Heaven Seems Far Away!

Perhaps the best song I’ve ever heard in my life was recorded by the incomparable Stevie Wonder. If you ever get a chance to listen to his older musical selections, make sure you check out “Heaven Is 10 Zillion Light Years Away.” The simplistic lyrics and gentleness of the acoustic guitar always puts my hazy mind at ease. Be honest, have you ever felt like heaven seemed far away? Most of us are too scared to admit that we’ve wondered where God is especially when it’s darkest in our lives. Have you asked yourself the personal question where have I been? It’s a fair question especially since we know that God will never leave us nor forsake us Hebrews 13:5. So where were you when God was speaking to you about your failed relationships, that new promotion, reconciliation in your family, or healing in your infirmed body? You were probably where I was, out of alignment with Him. I notice that whenever I start to drift away from God, those are the times I want to assert the outlandish claim that somehow He has left me. Have you ever felt detached from heaven even after you’ve done all that God has required of you (giving, fasting, praying)? I have! I’ve even had the audacity to think the clouds were preventing my prayers from penetrating heaven. Any reason I could think of to deflect the blame to another source other than myself would suffice.
I’ve now come to truly know that God is never far away. He is always speaking and He is always near to those who choose to be near Him and hear Him. Those times when I thought God had forsaken me, I only had to evaluate my priorities. You do know that what you put first orders everything else! I haven’t always put God first. When I should’ve been on my knees thanking Him for His grace and mercy I was checking email or sitting in front of the television. When I could’ve been witnessing to the unsaved, I wasn’t readily available. I believe a lot of people have this misconception that they just get saved, die, go to heaven and that’s when heaven begins. I hate to bend your “Holy Halo” but this notion is ridiculous. Think about it! Jesus died so we could have heaven here on earth right now. What I’m saying is He died so we could live not just with Him in heaven but right here where all hell is breaking loose. Sometimes it’s just so murky in my head that I can’t discern God’s quiet voice. It’s noisy due to continued interferences I’ve allowed to compete and eventually take up residence in my spirit. God always hears us. We don’t always hear Him when the cares of this world clog our ears. It’s like trying to talk on a cell phone while driving. You can’t do both simultaneously without some degree of difficulty. One will always suffer because it lacks your complete attention. It’s as simple as the difference between hearing and listening. Hearing is simply the act of perceiving sound by the ear. Listening on the other hand, requires conscious thought and concentration and it leads to learning. Most people tend to be "hard of listening" rather than "hard of hearing."
When the clamor gets to be unbearable I know I have to get to a quiet place. This means taking myself out of the world for weeks at a time. Its okay to unplug yourself from the chaotic power source called life and simply recharge. God doesn’t scream at the top of His lungs to get our attention. He speaks to us through gentle whispers with a voice as soft as a warm summer breeze. It should make you feel special to know that someone, THE ONE longs to hear you, to be near you 24/7. Heaven longs for us without conditions or prerequisites. Come apart before you come apart! When heaven seems far away maybe this is a signal to you that you need to get away.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, very true...we can only gain peace and understanding by listening and being in alignment with the holy one, our father, great reminder:)

    Hill:)

    ReplyDelete

3 Things to Remember
1. Leave a comment if you so desire.
2. 90% of the friction in daily life is caused by the wrong tone of voice.
3. Shut my cyber door on your way out so I don't catch cold!
Seriously, I'd love to hear from you and I could use a Latte to keep my creative juices flowing...Be Blessed GOD loves YOU and so do I!