Welcome!

My Joy Is Contagious Make Sure You Catch It!

I always tell people that any day above ground is a good day! I hope your day is wonderful and blessed! Feel free to share your thoughts!
Thanks for stopping by!


Monday, March 30, 2009

It's BACK to the BASICS


Hindsight really is 20/20! So I’ve been meaning to purchase an external hard drive but I never got around to it. I sure could’ve used one a couple nights ago. This past weekend both my desktop and laptop went completely nuts. I spent so many hours on the phone with Dell’s technical support, I felt like packing and moving to India to find work as a customer service representative. The solution, In order to resolve the issues with both computers, I was instructed to dump everything on my hard drives. I saved what I could on a flash drive and tried not to cry as my files were obliterated into mere nothingness. All my work was gone in minutes. In between teary eyed trips to Starbucks, I’ve spent the past 36 hours trying to reinstall everything I need on both computers for optimum performance. I thought long and hard and wondered what I could possibly learn from this harrowing experience. Would you care to know what that was? Of course you do or you wouldn’t be reading this. I learned that all the technological advances we enjoy daily can and will fail us at any given time. All of the gadgets, computers, and things we’ve sworn we can’t function without, don’t satisfy like the basics.
The basics yeah! For example, I have a Texas Instrument calculator valued at $135.00 and I’m unable to use it. The user’s manual alone is as thick as the New Testament not to mention all those buttons. However, a calculator I purchased at Wal-Mart for $3.99 works like a charm. I don’t care what I was taught in school, I only need to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide. I had to ask myself some hard questions:
1. Do I really need to sleep with my Blackberry?
2. Could MySpace, YouTube, Blogger, Twitter and Face Book get along without me?
3. Should I add one more “friend” that I don’t know?
4. Is there some sort of rehab for “burned out” social networking addicts?
My real proof is that I log on instead of submitting my first morning’s urine specimen to the porcelain gods. Maybe my near fatal experience with my computers could transport you back to reality. Have you now spent so much time forming phony relationships in cyberspace that unless it’s a screen name you can’t compute? Has your writing changed so that you only speak in an abbreviated coded fashion (lol, smh, ttyl)? Don’t go beating yourselves up; admission is still the primary step to total absolution. I don’t know about you but the tips of my fingers are worn from all the constant texting and typing. I’m afraid to get my vision tested for fear of wear and tear on my eyes. I can’t help but laugh at the E-Harmony commercials seriously, trusting an online dating community with the rest of my life. I thought my life would get simpler because of technology, but really it hasn’t. The one good thing to come from my pc dilemma is that now both of my computers are like brand new void of all the files that kept me incessantly glued to them. I feel like I’m getting a new start. Today I did a practice test. I left the house on purpose without my laptop. It’s always good to maintain a teachable spirit. Guess what else I learned today. When you get right down to it, I think I look fantastic without my laptop!

1 comment:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Betty

    http://desktopmemory.info

    ReplyDelete

3 Things to Remember
1. Leave a comment if you so desire.
2. 90% of the friction in daily life is caused by the wrong tone of voice.
3. Shut my cyber door on your way out so I don't catch cold!
Seriously, I'd love to hear from you and I could use a Latte to keep my creative juices flowing...Be Blessed GOD loves YOU and so do I!