Welcome!

My Joy Is Contagious Make Sure You Catch It!

I always tell people that any day above ground is a good day! I hope your day is wonderful and blessed! Feel free to share your thoughts!
Thanks for stopping by!


Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Until Something Happens


I'm going to make a concerted effort not to watch the news on a regular basis. Recently I've become aware that these stories after any prolonged amount of time have a tendency to desensitize me. I'm even shocked at my own lack of apathy as countless reporters describe in morbid detail how another person's life was snuffed out. How can I remain so unaffected? Didn't I hear the reporter? Another child was savagely killed and yet I am completely coherent. I heard that reporter but I continue folding my laundry. I guess discovering who the sock thief is elicits more of a response. I never thought I'd get to a place mentally when hearing about children being ruthlessly murdered would seem ordinary and commonplace. It is a shame that in certain segments of our society hearing gunshots before having our morning coffee really is nothing special.

Most of us are smart enough to know by now that it really wasn't the alarm clock that woke us this morning. We all are guilty though of taking life for granted. When did the world morph into a melting pot of self absorbed ego maniacs with self gratification as the only goal? Boasting that we care about our fellow man only because it's politically correct to do so not because we really give a crap! If all that stands between you and a promotion is getting dirt on the other guy, are you seriously going to tell me that your shovel remains clean?

There is a very fine line between sanity and insanity and I believe 90% of us tiptoe around the edge all the time. You may not have done what Jane or John Doe has, but who is to say that you won't or couldn't. The edge is where some people live and sometimes the edge is where some people are pushed. When bad things happen the real story was written long before the likes of Nancy Grace got wind of it. Should lives only matter because the network news decides through sensational journalism it's a story worth covering? When tragedy strikes I wonder about the events that led up to the headlines not the actual headlines themselves. Death can visit in some pretty common and sadistic ways and yet I will forever be fascinated how now when tragedy strikes, statements are prepared, lawyers are hired, and contracts are negotiated and all of this before the casket is in the ground.

Imagine that wife who rushes to get ready for work but notices that her husband left the toilet seat up again. Can you see how ridiculous a toilet seat seems when she never gets to scream at him about it because she was interrupted by death? The recent high profile cases involving Drew Petersen, Ann Pressley, Casey Andersen, and Jennifer Hudson, brought this home for me in an instant and I think it sums a lot up. We usually don't care about ANYTHING until SOMETHING happens to us

What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

3 Things to Remember
1. Leave a comment if you so desire.
2. 90% of the friction in daily life is caused by the wrong tone of voice.
3. Shut my cyber door on your way out so I don't catch cold!
Seriously, I'd love to hear from you and I could use a Latte to keep my creative juices flowing...Be Blessed GOD loves YOU and so do I!